Unlock a world of musical knowledge by connecting with passionate musicians across the globe.

Home Forums Music Forum Welcome to the MusicTeacher.com Community (All Teachers)

• Welcome to the MusicTeacher.com Community (All Teachers)

Posted by Eliza Fyfe on December 11, 2015 at 9:45 am

Hi Matthew! Eee I’m so excited about it all! Hi everyone, I am a singing teacher based in Bristol!

The website is great, as well as the ideas going forward.

This is a fabulous idea. I miss forums. Takes me back to the early noughties!

kyle engelmann replied 1 month ago 27 Members · 60 Replies
  • 60 Replies
  • Guest Teacher

December 11, 2015 at 9:48 am

This is cool🙂Like the layout of it all! Makes everything easy. Great Idea!

I am Wes, a singing teacher based in Nottingham.

• Kat Hunter

December 11, 2015 at 9:48 am

Hey everyone!
    Cool space – I’m looking forward to all the vocal nerd chats we can have here. Woohoo!

• Matt Pocock

December 11, 2015 at 9:49 am

Hey guys here, Matt here from London!🙂 Can’t wait to get nerding up with everyone🙂

• Matt Pocock

Also, SO excited by the potential of this resources area – we could put together a whole load of our exercises for each other to use and look at!

What’s the plan with people editing the resources, Matthew?

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator

I am pleased to say that the Wiki part of the website is possible if teachers are interested in having a place where everyone can add, edit and engage with “wiki” style articles.

• Ben Reeves

December 11, 2015 at 9:55 am

Love the website, really nice way to bring everything together! I look forward to seeing some new ideas🙂

I’m Ben, a singing teacher based in London.

• Andrew Oxley

Hi everyone! My name is Andrew, guitar teacher from Sheffield. The website looks great. Looking forward to hearing from other music teachers around the country. Hopefully pick up some useful teaching tips!

• Ruth Adamson

Ruth teaching in Derby this is going to be great!

• Beckie Tunnicliffe

Hi I’m Beckie and I teach singing lessons in Nottingham too🙂

• Monika Welch

December 11, 2015 at 9:56 am

Hey all, I’m Monika and I’m a vocal coach based in Peterborough. The website looks great! It’s super user friendly, easy to navigate, and shall be a fabulous resource to everyone!🙂

• Eliza Fyfe

December 11, 2015 at 10:00 am

I would love a like button!!😉

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2015 at 10:01 am

Hi Eliza – pleased to say I have now added a “like button” as you wanted🙂

Also added the new feature of points for getting involved in the forum…there will be prizes, I will make a topic about it on the 1st of December for the December prize for being top on the 25th December 2015. Badges are also given in recognition of a teacher’s engagement with the platform, leading to the ultimate “Master Teacher” level! Any other suggestions for how to improve the website just let me know.

Also worth letting all teachers know that I am working on updating the “Submit Lessons Taught” document to make it a far more bespoke document that will have lots of added features. Again more on this to follow – until then keep enjoying the website, it will be released to all teachers in early 2016.

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2015 at 10:02 am

Haha classic – I am not sure I can implement this one for you, but I am starting to plan a corresponding student website that will be released in 2016 at some point. I am planning to call it MGR Music Academy – it will be broadly similar to this website, however, with a different system that enables students to register themselves (perhaps using Facebook), a place where teachers can upload info for the students & update progress, as well potentially an area for “secondary teachers” to add their lessons taught and pay for those lessons overseen by the “lead teacher” (this will be using the new bespoke lesson submission document that is currently in the process of begin developed to be even better than the Numbers document we currently use. I will keep you updated, but both platforms will be continued to developed over the next 6 months.

ps. thanks to the teachers that have notified me that the Numbers document doesn’t work on all mobile/tablet devices (even if they are Apple products), a key part of Version2 of the document will be that it is mobile friendly for you🙂 any other comments about the platform/improvements you wish just let me know.

• Eliza Fyfe

That sounds amazing – that’s the very thing I’ve been waiting for! That’s just epic.

But the question on everybody’s lips… what does the “G” in MGR stand for?!

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator

The “G” in “MGR” is my middle name, I will let you work that one out with the group…I think Matt Pocock knows😛

• Eliza Fyfe

December 11, 2015 at 10:07 am

George?

• Eliza Fyfe

Forum Suggestion: Should there be a forum for each instrument? So that we don’t have to add topics with who it applies to in brackets (sorry if you were planning this already).

• Guest Teacher

Gareth or Garth?

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator

Haha, Eliza – you got it in one! How did you know I am called George?🙂

As for separate instrument forums, I started it like that but I would rather have 1 active forum rather than 3 dead forums & 1 active singing teacher forum (singing teachers happen to be quite chatty…big surprise there!). Indeed, most of the topics are multi teacher any way…lesson cancelations, price increases etc. The brackets let teachers know if it is an instrument specific topic.

• Guest Teacher

December 11, 2015 at 10:08 am

Damn…

• Kat Hunter

December 11, 2015 at 10:11 am

Eliza, how are you already on more than 30 points? You’re like blitzing this paladin +100 health style!

Love the gamification, Matthew! Awesome.

• Kat Hunter

December 11, 2015 at 10:11 am

How do you get the level 1 banner?

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2015 at 10:12 am

Hi Kat,

Glad you like the gamification of the forum, Master Teacher Level 1 badge is award for teachers who post 3 replies in forums (since I have introduced it, so there will be a small number of cases where teachers have replied three times but haven’t won the badge yet). More details about Master Teacher badges can be found Master Teacher Points & Badges Post where I will post the info about the different badges and how to win them🙂

• Guest Teacher

Which theoretically means if I reply now… I become level 1😛

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator

Congratulations Wes – thankfully the badges system is working and you are up to Master Teacher Level 1!

• Eliza Fyfe

December 11, 2015 at 10:18 am

I have this many points because I have too much time on my hands. Which makes no sense as these have been the busiest 2 weeks of the year! Maybe it’s my escape!

• Eliza Fyfe

December 11, 2015 at 10:18 am

I should warn you all at this point of my highly competitive side.. will try not to just turn into a spammer!

Sounds great Matthew. I would suggest making a video game of us all. With a bad guy… which would be your typical non-paying flake of a student.

• Leigh Fuge

December 11, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hey all,

I’m a little slow joining the forum party! But I’ve been working with MGR since July last year. I’m based in South Wales working as a guitar teacher.

It’s great to see a platform where we can interact. I’m also an RGT registered guitar tutor, RGT offer a great interaction based platform in the way of various conferences (For a nice fee of course!), so having somewhere to come and share stories and tips with other teachers is fantastic! I look forward to getting to know you all more🙂

Thanks,
    Leigh

• Jonny Black

December 11, 2016 at 10:19 am

Matthew – this is excellent. really easy to use and going to be so helpful.

I’m Jonny, singing teacher in Manchester where business is booming. Look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts on here.

I’m a little late but better late than never and I need to get my points up! (want a badge!)

• Jake South

December 11, 2016 at 10:19 am

Bonjour Everyone,

I’m also a little late to the party. I’m Jake, the guitar teacher in Bath.

Look forward to working with some of you on the MGR Christmas album🙂

• Sarah Clayton

December 11, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi

I’m Sarah the Bath vocal coach🙂

Can someone tell me what the Lesson Resources is? I have clicked on the link and there is just one post there at the moment?

Matt?

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

@Sarah, thanks for the question🙂 the “Lesson Resources” part of the website was inspired by other websites that create shared community resources. Essentially it is a place where teachers can create lesson resources, write articles in a collaborative way (enabling other teachers to comment and review the content included) or simply add lesson notes that they wished to access themselves. I wasn’t sure it would be something of interest or not – would love some honest opinions on whether having a place to upload / engage about resources would be a welcome addition to the website or just a dead space that only 1 or 2 will use. Thoughts? 🙂

• Guest Teacher

Hi everyone,

This is looking great! I am Gael,guitar teacher in London.🙂

• Guest Teacher

Hello fellow shamans of music teaching, I’m one of the late arrivals! Lewis Leeming, teaching guitar in York.

What a fantastic endeavour!

• James Barnett

December 11, 2016 at 10:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m James, the piano teacher in Sheffield. I hope everyone is good today and that your week’s lessons are progressing nicely🙂

Looking forward to getting involved in the forum and also getting to know some of you

James

• Alan Richardson

December 11, 2016 at 10:33 am

Apologies for not introducing myself earlier. My name is Alan and I am a guitar teacher based in Sunderland.

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2017 at 10:34 am

Hello and welcome to the MusicTeacher.com Community. My name’s Matthew and it is fantastic to have join this group of teachers who are located right across the UK, as well as beyond. Teachers who are able to tutor a huge array of different music instruments, to students of all ages and abilities.

It is a group that I would love you to be able to share ideas of best practice, so for example what to do about lesson cancellations and other challenges that all music teachers ultimately face, as well as maybe resources, articles and videos that other music teachers might find interesting.

Feel free to comment below to introduce yourself to the group, perhaps where you come from and the instruments that you teach. Ultimately, get involved with the community – reach out to fellow music teachers to let them know the problems that maybe you face within your music tuition business and offer support and advice to other music teachers who perhaps ask those questions.

If you are interested in contacting me directly with any problems or anything that you want to raise within the group, feel free just to message the group directly ([email protected]).

Ultimately, I really hope you enjoy this community and get to know other music teachers in what can be quiet an isolated profession – in the sense that may of us teach privately at home and obviously engage heavily with our students, but find it quite hard to reach out to other music teachers both within our city and beyond. I think there is real value in being able to connect – often other teachers have the same challenges that we face, so being able to gain that peer support I think has huge value for one another.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to chatting with you more on the platform!

• Guest Teacher

December 11, 2019 at 10:34 am

Great to see Sam Quintana, a bass guitar & double bass teacher based in Leeds, join our community: https://musicteacher.com/teacher/sam-quintana/.

• Guest Teacher

Delighted to welcome Sofiko Tvauri (https://musicteacher.com/teacher/sofiko-tvauri/), a cello teacher based in London, to our music teacher community!

• Guest Teacher

Wonderful to welcome Molly Goss-Turner, a singing & piano teacher based in Liverpool, join our musicteacher.com team: https://musicteacher.com/teacher/molly-goss-turner/!

• Josh Doughty

December 11, 2020 at 10:41 am

Hello, My name is Josh Doughty and I am a kora teacher based in Bristol.

• Matthew Rusk

Administrator
    December 11, 2020 at 10:42 am

Welcome Josh🙂 I was listening to some videos of Kora music on YouTube as I have to admit I didn’t know what it was! It is amazing, very peaceful and graceful – do you find other players you can join together to play with like I saw in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cLAwAOi-hA)?

• Martina Schwertel

Hello, my name is Martina and I am based in Aberdeen. I am looking to start teaching piano!

• Eli Hanson

Hi! I’m Eli, I’m from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and I teach guitar and bass.

• Sarah Sands

Hey everyone!

I’m Sarah and I’m based in Liverpool. Hoping to teach Saxophone, Piano and Singing primarily!

• Guest Teacher

December 11, 2020 at 10:53 am

Hey guys,

I’m Ed a Liverpool based drum teacher. This place looks cool, lots of good info!

• Guest Teacher

Hello everyone, very excited to be joining this community! A very big thank you to Matthew for setting this all up. I’m a harpist based in Croydon and very much looking forward to catching up with everything on here!

• Guest Teacher

Hi Everyone!

I’m Emma and I’m a woodwind teacher from Essex. Nice to meet you all!

• Guest Teacher

Hey everyone! Super excited to join you all on here – what an amazing idea Matthew🙂

I’m a guitar/bass tutor from Reading and loving it!

• Neil Southgate

December 11, 2020 at 10:54 am

Hello Everyone

I am Neil and a brass and woodwind teacher in Swansea🙂

Nice to meet you all.

• Vanessa Balkwill

December 11, 2020 at 11:06 am

Hi everyone! I too am excited to be here! My name is Vanessa and I am violin teacher based in Wigston, Leicester. I am looking forward to reading your posts, contributing to the forum and connecting with you all.😊

• charlotte doherty

February 2, 2024 at 7:57 am

Hello Vanessa! Welcome to the community. It’s wonderful to have a violin teacher like you here. I’m sure your insights and experiences will be valuable to the forum. Feel free to share your thoughts, and I look forward to the connections and discussions ahead!

• Nick Wyatt

December 11, 2020 at 11:07 am

Hey everyone, Nick here from Epsom! Very excited to be a part of this community🙂

• Guest Teacher

Hello everyone! Looking forward to teaching and talking to fellow tutors on here (even in these weird times)! I teach guitar and I’m based in South East London. Daniil

• Guest Teacher

Hello all, I’m Sally, a singing and woodwind teacher in Sussex. Lovely to join a community of teachers🙂

• Oliver Watson

Hello all!

My names’s Oliver and Im a 3rd year music student based in Leeds, looking at getting more students for my drum tuition business!

Cheers for this opportunity Matthew! I look forward to helping more people learn the drums🙂

• Guest Teacher

December 11, 2020 at 11:15 am

hi everyone !i’m Anna,violin teacher from Chalfont St Peter ,nice to meet you all!:)

• Tommy Khosla

Hi all! I am Tommy, a Sitar teacher based in North London. Excited to be a part of the MGR community🙂

• Guest Teacher

Hi everybody! I am Cecilia Keuffer Sterk, Brazilian singing teacher based in Manchester. Very happy to be here.

• kyle engelmann

March 28, 2024 at 12:45 pm

Greetings,

I am new to this forum. I’ve been composing music for students. I’m wondering how active the members of this forum are?

Some of the threads I found are rather old.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies. Kyle Engelmann