I was wondering if you could help me with something (Singing Teachers)
Hi all – I was wondering if you could help me with something.
I am running a 1 hour team-building event on Thursday for a group of NHS managers to help improve the use of their voices in the workplace. It’s not really about singing, although I’ll probably do some singing warm ups amongst the usual warm ups. Here is my overview:
– Introduction: Scrubs Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9PqU3LC2L8
– Stretches: Relaxing the muscles in your larynx, releasing tension
– Breathing: Connecting with the diaphragm
– Strength of your voice/resonance: the power of the diaphragm & larynx together
– Articulation: Speaking clearly with good diction & expression
– Engaging your listener: Tone & Pitch
– Singing warm ups: Vocal techniques that cover a lot of the above
– Group Game: Splitting into small groups to try out these techniques
I am reading Roger Love’s “Set Your Voice Free” as he talks about the speaking voice being the foundation for singing. He has some useful points on the speaking voice that could easily fill an hour, but of course I don’t want it to be a lecture; I want them to interact and have fun!
I also don’t want to bombard them with academic anatomy and technological terms (couldn’t if I wanted to!) would love some tips, and if you could dumb it down, at the very least for my sake 😉
Overall, if there’s anything you feel you could add, (or comment on existing overview!) or if you’ve done something like this before, I would love your comments. This is my first event doing something with a group of people that isn’t choir, or singing for that matter! I’m quite nervous.