Guitar Teacher in London
Email: [email protected]
I’m a guitarist, composer, arranger, and educator.
I have performed and recorded with the likes of The Mad Professor, Polar Bear, Giorgio Serci, and my own group Oriole. I’m currently writing music for a feature film which will be released next year.
I have taught at Weekend Arts College, Southwark Blue Note, and Community Music. I presently teach for Wandsworth Council and privately.
About your lessons:
Whether you need extra help with your graded exam, want to learn how to play the guitar because it’s a fun and rewarding, or need lessons for your child (up to date DBS certificate available) I can help you.
Above all, I try to make lessons clear and enjoyable but also help with:
- Learning your favourite songs or pieces accurately
- Learning the fretboard and understanding some theory
- Techniques to help you play with more ease
- Timing issues, by using backing tracks and loops
- Understanding a variety of styles; rock, pop, blues, jazz, world and folk
- Scales, theory and ear training, if you are interested
- Beginners, advanced, old and young students are all equally welcome.
I have found that the structure of Trinty College Rock and Pop books and graded exams are a great structured way to learn.
For classical guitar, my approach is slightly different, I endeavour to facilitate:
- A solid and up to date right and left-hand classical guitar technique
- A rich and broad Classical repertoire taking you on a journey through Spain, South America and beyond, also back in time exploring Bach’s beautiful Lute music.
- Knowledge of music theory and sight-reading
- Some knowledge of composition and how the pieces have been built
- Understanding of interpretation and sound quality
- Great marks in Trinity College exams
My personal understanding of classical guitar comes directly from some of the greatest classical guitarists in the world today, including Trinity College course leader Graham Devine and Cuban master Ale Arango (Francisco Tarrega Competition winner 2018) along with years of personal study.
Music Qualifications & Achievements:
- Degree in Music
- BBC Award for innovation
- Jerwood Foundation Award (twice)
I teach my lessons from a teaching space located on Paulet Road, London, SE5 9HW, UK. My full teaching address will be provided upon your first lesson booking. I also offer online guitar lessons. For more information about my lessons simply get in touch.
To book your first lesson with me, or to find out more about my music lessons, don’t hesitate to get in touch by emailing me on [email protected].
A gorgeous collection of tunes, an album of genuine beauty.
The music’s shape and momentum continue to thrill. A belter.
The music, and the recording, quietly blaze like an Iberian summer. ****
An unexpected delicacy. ****
Bandleader and prolific guitarist-composer Jonny Phillips seems to have tunes coming out of his ears.