Singing, Songwriting & Creativity Coach
Email: [email protected]
Hi, I’m Charlie. I’m a professional singer/songwriter and singing/songwriting coach working with singers of all genres, levels and ages. My teaching is of a contemporary, confidence-boosting style. With lessons specialised to you, using music that you love to develop your own unique artistry, I aim to encourage you to find your own voice and explore your creativity.
Whether you want to perform, start writing lyrics, write your own songs, learn how to improvise or just sing for fun, I will cater your lessons to suit you. I offer a free 20min video call consultation to see if we are a good fit and then, if it works, we can go from there!
Music Qualifications & Achievements:
I have been singing and performing in many performing arts mediums for 15 years and have been coaching for 7+ years. I love working with adults of all levels as well as more seasoned pro-artists and have been praised on my work with children, having gained a lot of experience coaching groups and getting young artists out of their shells.
Some of my professional qualifications/certifications include:
- BA Hons in English Language & Literature 2:1 at University of Brighton (2014-2017)
- Professional Diploma in Professional Musicianship: Vocals (Level 5) (Distinction) at BIMM: Brighton (2010- 2011)
- Performing Arts National Diploma (Triple Distinction) at Truro College (2006-2008)
Companies I have worked with as a coach:
- Zylo Performance Ltd. (August 2015-present)
- Chailey Heritage Life Skills Centre (2019-present)
- ICTheatre (2018-2020)
- ICTheatre Academy (2018-2020)
Some highlights of my music career so far:
- Newly revamped a studio space in Brighton for coaching as well as to work on material for my latest project (Folk-Poet/ Witchy-Alt-Singer-Songwriter) which will be released under my name.
- Written songs for use on adverts, film & television via Alibi library music ltd. (2016-2017)
- Written songs for my own project ‘Charlie Melrose’ (2015-2018) for which I have co-written the music video Tinderella which has had over 9000 views on Facebook & YouTube combined
- Successfully fan-funded a single launch using pledge music for the single (under ‘Charlie Melrose’) The Original Ghost
- Self-released my own EP After Midnight digitally worldwide in (2016)
- Performed as part of the alternative escape in Brighton (2016)
- Supported Hazel O’Connor as part of her tour (2013) with a jazz quartet
- Sang on X-Ray Spex cover ‘Germ-free adolescents’ featuring Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols
- Went on a European tour with the band Screama Ballerina (2013) supporting The Subways as part of this
- Supported The Buzzcocks, Rancid and PiL, opening the main stage at Rebellion Festival (2012)
- Won awards with Screama Ballerina (2013): Exposure Music Award’s ‘Best Rock Act’ and ‘Best Overall Act’ and Amazing Radio’s ‘Best Rock Act’
- Had songs played on BBC Introducing (South, Berkshire) BBC6Music, Amazing Radio, KROQ-FM and more
For students who book weekly, I also offer the following block bookings:
|4 x 30 mins||£70.00 (Saving of £10)|
|4 x 45 mins||£110.00 (Saving of £10)|
|4 x 1 hour||£145.00 (Saving of £15)|
I teach from a studio space located at Rooftop Music Studios, 1F Bonchurch Rd, Brighton, BN2 3PJ.
I have always felt very nervous and vulnerable singing, and came to the classes with a lot of baggage – but the first thing Charlie did was send my insecurities packing! She is such a compassionate, funny and skilled teacher, adjusting each session to suit my needs that day and always remaining encouraging. Couldn’t recommend her enough! What a wonderful, confidence building tutor anyone would be lucky to have x
Our daughter LOVED her time with Charlie and it was a pleasure to watch her flourish and grow in confidence over the years. Creative and collaborative – Charlie is a natural teacher!
My daughter participated in an online singing course taught by Charlie in February 2021. She loved it, and her singing had improved remarkably after only four lessons. Charlie has a relaxed and warm manner, and is consistently positive and encouraging with the children. The songs were available with a range of tempos and accompaniments to accommodate different ability levels. The course materials were high quality and I was impressed with the concepts covered in a short course. My daughter finished the course keen to continue learning with Charlie.