Cello, Music Theory & Violin Teacher in Cardiff
Email: [email protected]
Samantha Drees is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, USA. She received a Bachelor’s degree in Music studying cello and a Bachelor’s degree of Arts in the French Language from Baldwin Wallace University and Conservatory in Berea, Ohio. She also completed a chamber music emphasis, which consisted of organising three chamber music recitals, one at the Conservatory and two others in local churches in the community.
Samantha studied with Regina Mushabac and co-principal cellist of the Cleveland Orchestra, Richard Weiss. She was actively involved in Symphony Orchestra conducted by the former Cleveland Ballet conductor, Dwight Oltman, and participated in BW’s prestigious Bach Festival, the oldest collegiate Bach fest in the nation.
Samantha attended the National Music Festival in Chestertown, Maryland in the summer seasons of 2014 and 2016, and the Pierre Monteux School for Conductors and Orchestral Musicians as a cellist in the summers of 2015 and 2016.
Following graduation, Samantha worked as an English teacher in three elementary schools in Paris, France. She has just obtained a Master’s degree in Music from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama where she has performed in many college ensembles.
She is very passionate about chamber music and succeeded in raising 700 US dollars for the Young Centre for Immigrant Children’s Rights at a recital at All Saint’s Church in November 2018.
Samantha is very enthusiastic about her work with the Heulwen Piano Quintet, a group that has been coached steadily at the RWCMD by pianist Robin Green and the Albion String Quartet which led them to win the Cardiff Violins String Prize in March 2019.
Samantha loves teaching the cello and has many years of experience. She first began as an undergraduate student at the Baldwin Wallace Conservatory Outreach program. She learned a lot about pedagogy during her time as an English teacher assistant in a primary school in France.
When she returned home to the States following her Master’s studies she jumped into teaching as a substitute at the Aurora School of Music. She quickly adapted to each individual student she met with little to no notes about the student before their meeting. She was able to quickly hone into their strengths and weaknesses and provide a fresh perspective to supplement their weekly tuition.
She also worked teaching a small studio at the Hudson Montessori School Conservatory. During this time she was able to solidify her teaching philosophy and methods. She is enthusiastic about teaching the next generation of musicians.
She is now resident to Cardiff living with her husband and cannot wait to meet her new pupils!
Music Qualifications & Achievements:
- Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama (RWCMD)—2017 to July 2019: Master of Music, Principle teacher: Nikki Thomas
- Baldwin Wallace University and Conservatory—2012 to 2016: Bachelor of Music, Magna Cum Laude
- Emphasis in Chamber Music. Primary Instrument: Cello, Secondary Instrument: Piano, Principle teachers: Regina Mushabac and Richard Weiss (Co-Principal of the Cleveland Orchestra)
- Baldwin Wallace University—2012 to 2016: Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, Major in the French Language, Studied French Literature at La Sorbonne Nouvelle in Paris, France, spring of 2015, Studied with cellist Xavier Gagnepain
- Cardiff Violins Chamber Music Prize—Heulwen Piano Quintet received the prize for their performance of the Vierne Piano Quintet at the RWCMD, May 2019
- Bridgewood and Neitzert Chamber Prize—Cello and Bass duo received the prize for the performance of the Bottesini Duo at the RWCMD, June 2018
I teach my lessons from a teaching space located in Roath, Cardiff. My full teaching address will be provided upon your first lesson booking. I also offer online and mobile lessons (subject to my availability and your location). For more information about my music lessons simply get in touch.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.