Drum Teacher in Frimley Green
Email: [email protected]
I am an accomplished, lifelong drummer with significant live performance and studio recording experience. I have regularly played at some of the best-known venues in London and the Southeast with the established rock band Arivmia.
I have hands-on knowledge of the music industry and musicianship from crafting tracks in rehearsals, recording in the studio and promotion at venues and on the internet. I am experienced in maintenance, transport and set up using a wide variety of equipment.
Training and experience:
- 26 years of drumming experience.
- Knowledge of all technical aspects of drums and related equipment, their sourcing and maintenance.
- Followed Trinity Guildhall Percussion Syllabus to Grade 8 (Advanced) informally.
- Understanding of the theory of written notation and sight- reading.
- Completed Higher Diploma in Popular Music Practice specialising in drums at the Academy of Contemporary Music, 2006-7 (Modules studied: Live Performance Workshop; Technical & Stylistic Development; Music Industry Preparation; Song craft; Professional Musicianship; Contemporary Repertoire).
- In 2015 I finished an extended diploma in Music technology. Gaining a triple grade distinction, distinction, merit.
- Completed Degree Music Industry Practice specialising in drums at the Academy of Contemporary Music, Guildford. 2017-2019. Completing with a 2:1 Hons.
- Actively developing further knowledge of sound engineering equipment and software including LogicPro 8 and 9, Pro X, and Cubase 6.5 through 1-1 tuition and extended diploma in music technology.
- Currently studying “Art of Mixing” at PointBlank Music School (Online)
- Familiar with other instruments including guitar, bass, xylophone, piano/keyboard and orchestral drums.
- Health and Safety, and First Aid trained.
I have taught drums to complete beginners and experienced drummers selecting material according to individual levels of ability. For example, breaking down songs to enable students to learn drumming techniques and pedal work. I have taught from the Guildhall school of arts and drama books and also Rockschool drum books. I also try and encourage students from the start to learn by ear as well as by reading.
I have experience of collaborative music writing and crafting from jamming, to final live studio recordings, also recording alone to a metronome, “click” track. I have recorded at The Lodge Studios, Northampton, Rising Records, Little Clacton and ACM (Academy of Contemporary Music). Also, recorded demo’s at “Audio Sorcery Recording Studios, Groombridge”.
Arivmia projects include:
- Album: “End of the Line” (released September 2009)
- EP: “Awake another Fear” (released July 2011)
- Album: “Echoes from the Wilderness” (released late 2013)
Dirty Rose Projects Include:
- Single “Break My Heart” (released October 2019)
- Single “Air Guitar Hero” (released June 2019)
Technical stage work:
I transport and set up band equipment for live performances, selecting and tuning the drum spec to suit venue acoustics. At gigs I set up lights, banners, sound systems, PA levels and fault find using DVM meters, both for my own band’s and for other bands.
Live performance venues:
- GuilFest, Guildford
- The Star, Guilford
- The Boileroom, Guildford
- Carlisle, Hastings
- Tubman, Hastings
- Flariz, Hastings
- Esquires, Bedford
- Dublin Castle, Camden
- Purple Turtle, Islington
- Hope and Anchor, Islington
- Intrepid Fox, Soho
- The Hope, Brighton
- Green Door Store, Brighton
- The Peel, Kingston
- Charities supported through gigs include Cancer Research, Cystic Fibrosis, RNLI and St Michael’s Hospice.
Music Qualifications & Achievements:
- GCSE Music including sound recording with Cubase and studio work experience at Parkgate Studios, Battle, East Sussex
- Higher Diploma Popular music Practice, ACM Guildford – 2006-2007
- Higher Diploma – Music Technology Distinction, Hastings College, – 2014
- Extended Higher Diploma – Music Technology – Triple grade Distinction Merit – 2015
- BA Hons Music Industry Practice – Drums ACM, Guildford. Completing with a 2:1 Hons. – 2019
I have a drum studio at my home, so this is the perfect environment for you to learn to play on real drums (not electric). I also offer online drum lessons via Skype and Zoom. For more information about my lessons simply get in touch.
Russell Is an excellent teacher to our son. The lessons and fun and our kid has learned so fast and loves to practice so he can do well in his next lesson with Russell.
Russell is very attentive, goos in communicating with us and always on time and reliable.
Russell helped me with learning songs for my band. He was very good at listening to the music and coming up with new ideas for me. He also got me to work on my rudiments to help me play better drum fills throughout the songs. Very good teacher and I am looking forward to my next lessons with him. 10/10
Russell is reliable, punctual and easy to get along with. He tailors his lessons to suit each student, and is patient and motivational
Russell has been a pleasure to work with at the ACM. Russell has a strong work ethic, professional attitude and always goes above and beyond with regards to his musical education. Russell is certainly a drummer to look out for in the future.
Russell is an excellent solid drummer and he is very easy to get along with. He is a greatly dedicated student of mine. Russell Is a very powerful drummer, and works very well to a metronome.